Monday, March 3, 2014

Weeks 6 & 7 Recap {& Week 8 Goals}

Last night my family made me dinner.

I was “on-call” last week – Uriah was gone on a chartered fishing trip for a few days and then he came back and had to work a ton of hours as they had a busy weekend at the resort.  So that left me holding down the fort all week with no end-of-the-day-tag-team-out, which I really do look forward to after having been home all day.  And even though Uriah was at work before 7 yesterday – on the heels of two 12+ hour days in a row, he didn’t complain when I said I just needed some “me time.”  He even took my grocery list and Finneaus this morning and went to the store for me.

I should have gone to the gym last night; I scheduled myself to go to the gym while the humans made dinner because I hadn’t been since Friday.  I didn't go, even though a new month has started and I’ve got to get my time in if I want to get the kick-back our insurance company gives us for going to the gym a certain number of times each month.  It is a lot harder than you would think – this getting to the gym 12 times a month - and honestly, I just have to schedule my gym time or it is too easy to push it off until tomorrow and the next day and the next day.  And clearly, even sometimes when I schedule my gym time I push it off.

So, since I didn't go yesterday, I did go this morning - made myself go this morning; forced myself to go this morning.  I went before my mom's group met in the sunshine around my kitchen table to plan the last of our meetings for the year.  I went even though my kitchen was a mess, even though there were dirty dishes in the sink and the dishwasher needed to be emptied, even though the recycling needed to be taken out and a few breakfast crumbs needed to be swept. I went even though I knew I would come back sweaty and in need of a shower before placing myself in close proximity to women who really don't want to smell my gym smell.

And now here we are.  Three weeks of weight updates, a few frustrations to vent, and some goals.  Week 6 was a wash – I didn't gain or lose anything, but I started focusing more on my running at the gym.  I timed myself to see how long it takes me to run/walk a 5k (3.1 miles) and I've gotten some good running tips from my sister to help me add more running time and less walking time. The last two weeks (Weeks 7 & 8) have been gains even though I feel better about myself and even my pants feel better; I don't think the scale adequately reflects what I'm feeling, so I'm trying to ignore it for now until I have Uriah take my measurements again (it's been a month since I measured last).  I'm just going to keep on keeping on and see where the road takes me.  If I continue to have the same results in the next few weeks, it will probably require a conversation with my doctor, but I'm not going to jump to that yet.

In the scale's defense, I was very lax with my tracking and gym time last week while Uriah was gone…one too many episodes on The Netflix and two evenings of popcorn do not a happy scale make; however, I am watching my calories and so far have not gone over my "allowance," so it is frustrating, to say the least.  I’m not beating myself up about it, this is life and some weeks are easier than others.  Last week just happened to be one of those hard weeks.

So that leaves me my goals for this week, Week #8 and they are as follows:
  • No caffeine.  This is partly to do with Lent, which starts on Wednesday and my fasting from caffeine for the next 40 days, which will hopefully keep me on track going forward, and it also has to do with my incredible desire to snack when I have caffeine past noon (read: Diet Pepsi while I make dinner.  I know it makes me want to have cheese and crackers, so why do I continue to drink it?  I don't know...time to just kick the habit, I think!).  So, let's experiment and see what happens when I just cut it out completely.  Decaf tea…we’re about to become fast friends in the morning!
  • 4 scheduled gym times this week - I'm working on my running goals.  I had a really good conversation with my athletically-inclined sister and she gave me some good tips to get me motivated.
  • Get back on the water wagon.  Tea in the morning, water for the rest of the day.  Ultimately, I’d like to get ½ my body weight in fluid ounces.  I might be spending the majority of next week in the little girls room with that much liquid!


I will say, it was glorious to have all three of my favorite humans bustling in the kitchen last night, cupboard doors opening and closing, laughter, Italian sausage smells coming up to the living room for the meat sauce and Uriah even made pasta earlier in the afternoon after he got home from work for the cheese raviolis; he rounded my pasta-centered meal with a fat green salad. Finn made me close my eyes while he brought me my "surprise dinner," and I didn't have to clean up the kitchen or do bed time. Instead I read the new magazine that came in the mail last week that I hadn't even glanced at. It was very relaxing; I really just needed that zone-out time to energize me for the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment